Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day #27 A day on the sea - Seattle to San Juan Islands and Friday Harbor

I was up and out the door by 5:35 a.m. equipped with the programed Garmin and the Caddy on loan from Mickey and Lorrie. Destination - Pier 69, Alaskan Way and the Victoria Clipper.

Mt. Rainier welcomed my morning commute again. Seattle and surrounding areas have been without rain for more than 40 days. Lucky me.

I was invited to share a seat at a window table with two women traveling from Iowa.

Jean

Ruth
 The Victoria Clipper made its way out of Puget Sound to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Islands were everywhere with the Cascade Mountains in the background and gorgeous yet again.




The captain slowed down when we came upon...

A tug boat pulling....

a log raft with....


sunbathers (a.k.a. harbor seals) hitching a ride!


 Our route took us through Deception Pass...


 Through Desperation Pass into the Rosario Strait, navigating around several islands, finally arriving at...
Friday Harbor, San Juan Island



Some departed, but most stayed on board to go back out searching for whales and other sea life.
I moved to the top side for a better view.
We found sea lions and birds...

Note the Alpha male.
Sadly, we did not find Orcas or Minkas today (only the fifth day since May without a single siting)...

but I took these shots in the Whale Museum once we were back to Friday Harbor!
This was my view for an early supper.

This was my coconut Mohito and my Orka stationery.

And this was my meal... nothing like fresh clam chowder (big chunks) in a sour dough bread bowl!

Watching the ferry boat load and unload was fascinating.

Almost time to re-board and head south

Harbor seals sited on a mini island soaking up the rays along the mini shoreline
The Seattle skyline welcomed us

As did Mt. Rainier, this time nestled above a busy harbor.

Setting sun sets the city aglow!

And a parting gift from my Iowan seatmates... a San Juan Island Orka pin to remember the day.
Tossing in the current of my scarf under a jagged coastline.


Damn. I missed opening day of school for the first time in 30+ years. Hmmmm.... I think I did just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment