Monday, September 3, 2012

Day #25 The Tattoo


Day #25 is September 2 and it is Sunday. I worshiped with Mickey and Lorrie at the Lacey Presbyterian Church where they attend regularly.


Pastor delivered a fitting message, "Who's the boss?" He asserted that each of us can be ambassadors for Christ in our workplace, whether our work is being a student, employee, employer, job-hunting for the unemployed and managing time in retirement. I, for the first time, fit into the latter category.
 As it was the first Sunday of the month, communion was offered. More than once during the service and songs I was moved to tears, truly humbled by the amazing journey I am on, worshiping God by enjoying the Earth and people everyday. I am listening for the next assignment God has in mind for me!


Coffee at Cutter's after church with friends, Ed and Patty.

 AND THEN.... DRUM ROLL....MARY CAME

I have been considering a tattoo for some time. It just seemed the right thing to do. And, hey, I wasn't shopping for new school clothes this year! I had to buy something! Now was the time, especially because I had experienced niece Mary who could go with me to her tattoo guy. Lorrie went along to be the photographer.

Lovely Mary was all about this adventure with Aunt Mary Kay!

Can't imagine I would ever have walked into tattoo parlor by myself!

The rules speak for themselves

The basic design is ready. The placement decision was easy as it needed to be where I could see it and enjoy it. Tom gave me a Mockingjay pin for my birthday. It is a symbol from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I highly recommend you read it before you see the movie. There are three books in the series.
I was introduced to the books by a colleague en route to a state Superintendent's conference. One of her Board members called concerned because it was required reading in grade 7 English. I went to our school library and check out the first book, right up my alley - good sci-fi with a strong moral message of good against evil. "And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

In the first book the mockingjay pin is given to Katniss Everdeen to keep her safe during the Games. I have always been a champion for the underdog and fighting for what it right. The premise of the series, children fighting and killing until only one is alive for the entertainment of the Capitol, is objectionable to many, but in this futuristic world, evil is thwarted and the underdog rises. (Twelve districts rebelling against the Capitol - not coincidental, I presume!)

A mockingjay is a bird that was created through the mating of jabberjays and female mockingbirds. When Katniss wore a pin with this bird on it in the 74th Hunger Games, the Capitol was angry. They believed it would result in an uprising because the Capitol saw the Mockingjay was a failure. This is why Katniss became "The Mockingjay" and led the Rebels in Mockingjay. (Wikipedia)

If you are interested in reading more, follow this link...
http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Mockingjay 

The rebel has always been in me. The closer I came to retirement, it re-emerged... a steak of blue hair for graduation... blue finger nails and toe nails...

A tattoo was the next logical step.

Will Jackson, my tattoo artist, begins the process. He was impressed. So was Lorrie. I never flinched once. It felt like bee stings, far less painful than I was expecting. Will said, "You did good! Better than many!"

Colors emerging

Thrilled to tears, proud of myself and happy with the results, the healing process begins. I will post results in a couple of weeks after healing is complete!

Mary's turn... This is #3 for her and this one going between her shoulder blades!

 "Life an adventure, ready for taking.
College, career, your own awakening.
Peacock Proud I stand today. Proud of you. Proud of me."

It is possible I have a tattoo guy now, too! Perhaps a peacock feather next?





No comments:

Post a Comment