Friday, August 3, 2012

Preparations for the journey....

The idea began with a plan to get my Ford Explorer to son Tom in California. (I will be getting something else to drive!) Tom's work takes him to various cities across the nation each August to host a conference for their members.

The journey will begin when I drive to meet him in Indianapolis, leaving August 10. From there we will take a week to drive the rest of the way across country, ending at Tom's in Modesto, CA.

I had planned to stay for a week or two and head back to NY. I also committed to visit my dear friend, Christine, and her family in Rio Rancho, NM, in October when the international balloon festival is hosted in Albuquerque.

And then it hit me..... why do I have to come back and go again? Why not stay west of the Mississippi and city hop, visiting family and friends? Indeed, I can!

I connected with each potential host, asking if they would welcome a visitor, and then started booking flights.

There will be six, one-way flights. I started planning on cheapo-air, coming up with a package for all flights for $1400 over the two month period. Not bad. Then I decided to check booking directly through an airline, choosing Southwest as they boast the best west coast services. Get ready for this: ALL 6 FLIGHTS ARE CONFIRMED FOR A TOTAL OF $704 AND TWO BAGS ARE CHECKED FREE! Now that's a deal!

The flights begin August 28 from Oakland, CA, to Seattle, WA. They end October 11 from Albuquerque, NM, to Buffalo, NY. In between the flights are Seattle to Burbank, CA; Burbank to Dallas, TX; Dallas to Houston; Houston to Albuquerque.

Hotels are booked for the cross country drive and now I start to plan fun and relaxation.
I have a new lap top and have learned to blog so I can document and share the adventure.

Ahhhhh.... Retirement!

2 comments: