Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day #55 Portville Girls Stoked Up for Second Day in Galveston!

Taking advantage of the hotel breakfast to start the day, I almost missed the most obvious welcome for a tourist possible...

Texas waffles! (Karen saw it before I did. Too funny!)


 No overcast beaches or RED flags on the Gulf Coast on Monday. It was all GREEN. Blue skies and bright sunshine that Karen and I played Timothy Green in throughout the day. (He stands, faces the sun, lifts his arms, closes his eyes and takes in the warmth and energy.)


 

When Karen asked me upon my arrival what I wanted to do I said I haven't been to an aquarium during my Ahhh Retirement adventure. Today we did!




The Aquarium at Moody Gardens








Aquariums make me think of Tom as he loves them and we have been to many together. We had a 20 gallon fresh water tank while the boys were growing up. Tom brought a 50 gallon tank home from college. (We won't talk about what I did after he moved to CA without the fish or the tank. He has only been REALLY angry at me a couple times in his life. This was one of them.)

Why is Karen smiling? Doesn't she see that we are under attack?






Finger hugs from Sea Urchins are the BEST!






Big AND Beautiful!

I want THAT one!








By golly, Karen and I are getting in with the seals!


 That one came right between my legs! And Karen was messing with the little one.





OK, so we got in a little bit of trouble for getting in the tanks.
Line up!

Nope, not following directions!






So how come SHE didn't get in trouble for getting in the tank?





We decided this was a 60's fish... lots of fringe and stripes.


Karen, these are NOT plants. They are animals called Anemones.


Just hanging around




I snuck in just one more tank. This time I didn't get caught!


Another Hermit Crab Cousin. 

He said, 

"Say Hi to Mel for me!"



The aquarium was so much fun we decided to go on a dolphin watch and headed to the waterfront.

I caught a man on the pier who came from the water!                       (Albeit another stiff one!)






 We got tickets for the 1 p.m. Baywatch Harbor Tour


and saw over 20 dolphins in less than an hour.


Captain Bud said there must be beginners luck on board as we saw at least two dolphins jump all the way out of the water!
















Karen seems to have caught Captain Bud while I wasn't looking. She always gets the live ones!















Look closely for the Delmonte sign on the side of the building. Nearly all bananas coming to the US come through the Galveston port.

Besides bananas, Galveston has been the port that bundles and ships cotton all over the world.

World War II ships docked left. Working barge right.

Ferry to Bolivar Peninsula

Working tugs and oil rigs being dismantled in the harbor.

Time for lunch





Yummy gumbo for me! 

(First time for shrimp gumbo. Steak gumbo in Disney a few weeks ago.)
I tried to get one of the mates to let me stage a picture on this Boardwalk... We will just have to close our eyes and imagine it. SIGH
All this was happening at Pier 21. We made it to the second level theater as well, hoping to see the documentary on the 1900 flood.
We think we may be charmed as it should have been a 90 minute wait for the next showing, but no one was there for the 3:30 show on immigration - so WE GOT A PRIVATE VIEWING!




Searching for bodies. More than 6,000 dead. 3,000 never found. (And Karen said, "Yeah, well they're dead, too.")
 While on the Duck Tour yesterday and driving around today we saw several interesting points of interest in Galveston.

Moody Gardens Pyramids: Aquarium, Rainforest Gardens, Discovery Center... all being watched over by a brown pelican.

 Fort Crockett was operational at one time in Galveston. (Dad, was Uncle Harold here?) The Texas governor has declared the abandoned buildings historical, so they cannot be demolished.
 Moody Mansion




               






    Texas Heroes Monument
Horn in Old Town ready for Mardi Gras
Wood carvings (30) throughout the city made from trees damaged during Hurricane Ike in 2008. These are a fire-hydrant and Dalmatian. And below is a Galveston landmark, the last stop of the day.





A day without chocolate is like a day without sunshine.
Every day is an opportunity. Every day an adventure. Reaching right up through the roof. Catching the rays. Feeling the warmth. Certain that God is good and life is, indeed, a gift!
 Thank you, Karen!

No comments:

Post a Comment